Donating Stocks is Easy.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated securities to Florida Keys History & Discovery Foundation, Inc. (FKHDF)
- FKHDF uses the proceeds to support our rotating and permanent exhibits, programs, collections processing, docent training, traveling exhibits, and overhead of museum.
You can make gifts of stock by either of two methods
1. Transfer by broker: Draft a letter to your broker providing instructions for the stock transfer. Your broker should then contact us at email@example.com to confirm details on transmittal of the gift.
Stock Transfer Instructions:
Account Type: Interactive Brokers
Account #: U8104050
Account name: Florida Keys History & Discovery Foundation, Inc.
Wells Trade DTC #: 0017
FKHDF Tax ID#: 46-1936911
Please use this Stock Transfer Form to notify your bank, then mail or email a completed copy to FKHDF so we can properly acknowledge your gift.
2. Mail certificate: Send the stock certificate(s) by certified mail to FKHDF. In a separate envelope, mail FKHDF your signed stock power form and a dated letter that identifies the stock, states how your gift is to be used and includes your signature exactly as it appears on the certificate. Send them on the same day by certified mail to:
Florida Keys History & Discovery Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 1124 (or 82100 Overseas Hwy)
Islamorada, FL 33036
For further information or to talk with someone, call 305-922-2237, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How You Benefit
- You receive credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value (average high and low prices on the day of the transfer).
- You avoid capital gains tax.
- Please note that the securities you use to make your gift must have been held by you for more than one year to be fully deductible.
When you donate appreciated securities, you are able to deduct the gift as a charitable donation AND avoid capital gains tax at transfer, though some capital gains taxation may be a part of the income stream. This double benefit allows you to leverage a larger donation by using appreciated securities rather than cash to make your gift. Here’s an example:
Assumptions: Donor in 33% Income Tax bracket; Capital Gains Tax rate 15%
Transferring securities is a simple process, and your financial advisor can help with every step. Please let us know the gift is coming.
For further information or to talk with someone about giving to FKHDF, please call 305-922-2237, or email email@example.com.
Matched Gifts: Many corporations offer a matching gift program. Check with your company to see if they will match your gift to our organization.
Endowment gifts allow you to make a long-term impact on Florida Keys History & Discovery Center. These funds are invested and sustain the organization in perpetuity. The Florida Keys History and Discovery Foundation maintains the Meeks Endowment which accepts gifts in the form of cash, checks, wire transfers and security transfers of stocks, bonds and mutual funds.
Legacy giving, or identifying the Florida Keys History and Discovery Foundation as a beneficiary in your will or estate plan, does not require a large income or vast estate. Legacy giving only requires a thoughtful intention to make a difference.
Yes, I believe in the importance and value of preserving and sharing the unique history and ecology of the Florida Keys and want to provide long-term support! For more information on planned giving options please click here or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-922-2237.
Florida Keys History and Discovery Foundation, Inc. is a registered 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. State of Florida registration number: CH38469. EIN: 46-1936911.
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.